Re: filmscanners: Multiple passes

"Ken Durling" <kdurling@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Someone feel like expounding briefly on the multiple pass technique?

It just means the scanner does several passes and combines the result.

> I'm using Vuescan and a FS2710, slides and both color and B&W negs.
> What is the purpose and what determines the number of passes you set?

Usually to get more shadow detail and less noise.  By averaging the passes
you should reduce noise and effectively increase the ability of the scanner
to pick up details.  But the scanner registration must be exact - the passes
have to line up precisely.  The Nikon LS2000, 4000 and 8000 have an
advantage here because they can do "multi-exposure" in a single pass.  Each
exposure line gets done multiple times in one pass.  No registration
problem.

> I tried a couple at 2 passes, and saw no noticeable effect, although
> I'm not at all sure what I'm looking for.

I don't know if it's terribly useful with a 2710.  Any other 2710 owners use
multipass?  I don't use it much with my LS30, but when I have tried it the
registration has been OK.  It seems to cause a slight loss of sharpness, but
also seems to reduce aliasing.

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.