Re: filmscanners: Question about Vuescan

At 11:56 AM 10/28/2001 -0800, Ken Durling wrote:
>I also like your workflow idea.  Unfortunately, the FS2710 has no
>batch scan function, so I have to feed 'em one at a time.  However,
>for raw files, I could dispense with the Preview and cut the time by
>about half, right?  Or is the Preview necessary for the scanner to
>evaluate the image?
>

>Ken

With my previous film scanner, a Microtek 35t+, I also had to insert slides
one at a time. It's a pain, but it can still work out fairly efficiently:
Pull slide from box, brush or spray (I use a CO2 cartridge spray) both
sides to remove dust, insert slide, hit "Scan" on Vuescan. When the scan is
about 50% complete, pull the next slide, etc. Keep the box covered between
pulls to reduce dust settling (unless you are lucky enough to have a HEPA
filter in your scanning room).

In Vuescan, you don't need to preview to scan and output raw files. That is
the feature I like best about Vuescan--the ability to scan a negative or
slide once and only once and then re-scan the resulting raw file and
manipulate it. I really don't like to subject my negatives and slides to
any more light than absolutely necessary. The raw scan feature of Vuescan
means I don't even have to preview. Of course, you do have to be careful to
maintain some ordering of the negatives and transparencies so they can be
matched up to the scans later in the wonderful, if unlikely (for me
anyway), event that someone wants to publish your image and needs the
original for publication purposes.

Stan
Photography by Stan McQueen: http://www.smcqueen.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.