Re: filmscanners: Question about Vuescan

At 07:43 AM 10/28/2001 -0800, Ken Durling wrote:
>Aha, that explains it.  I wasn't careful enough asking the question.
>I can see that there is a lot more range in the negative films, but
>still - should Velvia and Provia both be scanned under "Generic?"
>Feels strange to me, although I admit that so far I have few
>complaints about the results.
>
>Maybe I'll try scanning Velvia under Kodachrome and see how it looks!
>
>Ken

As I remember it, Ed Hamrick (creator of Vuescan) has said that if you use
one of the slide settings, the program will attempt to make the scan look
like the original scene by applying the profile to make corrections. If you
use the "Image" selection (which ignores any profiles), the program will
make the scan look like the slide. Since I like the deeply saturated look
of Velvia, I use the "Image" setting, so that the saturation is retained,
rather than being desaturated to match the actual scene. I would suggest
that, if you like the way the slide looks, use the "Image" setting and
don't worry about profiles for slide film.

My workflow is to scan all the slides into raw files when I get them from
the lab, then re-scan the raw files from disk at a later time. In this way,
each slide is only scanned once and it is scanned fresh from the box
without giving dust a chance to settle on it. With the Polaroid SprintScan
4000, I can load the slide holder with four slides, insert them into the
scanner, and tell Vuescan to scan frames 1-4 as raw scans, then go away and
do something else while the scanning takes place. Very convenient.

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen: http://www.smcqueen.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.