filmscanners: Re: Hello, thanks, and more.

HI all -

And thanks very much!   Whew, I've read through the posts 3 times now,
and the two immediate questions that are coming up are:

1) Bits.  I need some clarification on what the siginificance of all
the different bit-rates are about for color.  For example,  one person
mentioned that there is no real advantage in 16-bit over 8-bit color
for printing.  Someone else mnetioned "editing in 16-bit."   The Canon
software only offers scanning in 24-bit color, unless I initiate the
scan from within Corel Photo House, in which case I get an option of
36-bit color, as well as a different set of RGB, Gamma and
Brightness/Contrast dialoques. ( I notice this 36-bit option results
in a nearly 60MB file for a 35mm slide, as opposed to 28.9 for 24-bit)
Vuescan seems to default to 48-bit color.  So I'm a bit confused.  I
don't recall this coming up when I was scanning with HP Photosmart
with my 5200C.

2) Sizing.  Now this is just specifying the pixel dimension of the
image, correct? Without changing the resolution.   Someone mentioned
"resampling" and "downsampling."    For example, I scan a slide at
2720 dpi, and I get a 28.9 MB TIFF file that measures something like
3889x2550 pixels.  After adjusting color and brightness, etc, and
saving,  I go into the properties dialogue and specify a web-based
size, i.e. about 750 pixels in the longest dimension. Is that
"downsampling?"  Is that process in itself "lossy?"

I have yet to run into TIFF LZ compression, I must look further, but I
don't recall that as an option.

In any case, as a result of reading your advice I am now:

Always scanning at max res, ie 2720 dpi.

Saving my uncompressed TIFF files to a CD.  (I Ihave a Sony 16x and
the Adaptec v.4 software)   This is simple because when I do the scan
I save the TIFF into a directory, and then open it there with a
graphics app and create, for example, a jpeg to send to my web
portfolio.  This leaves the TIFF untouched, and I send that to a CD
and delete it off my hard disk.

Planning to eventually get PS6.

Starting to read the www.scantips pages.  Haven't run into a
discussion of the bit question there yet, but if it's there I will!

thanks kindly

Ken Durling

Website http://home.earthlink.net/~kdurling/

Alternate e-mail:  kdurling2001@yahoo.com