Re: filmscanners: Hello

You've got some great photos posted at Photo.net!  Excellent composition and
colors.

PS6 or PSE? - it depends, really, on your budget and whether you an amateur or
professional.  If professional I would spring for PS6.  If amateur and you
can't/don't want to spend $600 consider Corel PhotoPaint 9 (bundled with the
CorelDRAW Suite and available for under $50).  For image adjustment you would
do well to work not only in RGB (which is all PSE will handle) but also in CMYK
(read Dan Margulis's Professional Photoshop, any version) and in LAB color
spaces.  PhotoPaint and PS6 will do this whereas PhotoDeluxe and Corel Photo
House will not, nor will PSE.  And your best adjustment method is using curves,
which once again only PS6 and PhotoPaint have available.

Get an Epson - I had an hp PhotoSmart but pictures were grainy even at highest
resolution.  I have the Epson C80 now with individual color ink cartridges,
pigment ink.

Generally, save as a TIFF - I don't know that it's any smaller than a BMP, but
when you start making adjustments with layers and alpha channels you can save
those in TIFF though not in BMP.

Get Vuescan - some on this list prefer it, some Nikon users prefer Nikonscan,
some prefer Silverfast - but none to my knowledge have denied Vuescan's
quality.  I prefer Vuescan myself.

Save your original scanned TIFF for the future - as you get better you will
find you will adjust it better for improved output, so save it.  Make your
adjustments on the original TIFF, but resample to web size before final
sharpening but before conversion to compressed JPEG.

You won't have to learn about color management unless and until you start using
software that utilizes color management such as PS6 or PhotoPaint - some
references on color management are:

<http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/13605.html>
<http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/13036.html>
<http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/2440.html>
<http://www.computer-darkroom.co.uk/>
(see especially the Essay Configuring Photoshop 6 & Colour Management)
<http://www.digitaldog.net/>
<http://www.colorremedies.com/>

Gamma is essentially a curve necessary to coordinate a CRT monitor's input
power to output levels - it's not linear.  You can find Charles Poynton's Gamma
FAQs (and Color FAQs) at
http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/Poynton-color.html

Ask all the questions you like - we're here to learn ourselves and to help when
we can.

Maris Lidaka Sr