Re: filmscanners: Glass slide mounts

At 19 October, 2001 12:59 AM, "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@ampsc.com> wrote:

...|   I find your observations about focus very interesting since I have
| been given a lot of cr*p about my postings about this problem with Nikon
| film scanners.  I was told it "didn't exist" and that I was trying to
| hurt Nikon or carry on a vendetta.
...| One other issue with glass mounts... they add 4 more surfaces which
have
| to be kept clean of dust and dirt.  Of course, dICE is available on
| Nikon scanners to help reverse this problem.

I never saw a scan other than my owns (Microtek Artixscan 4000t, always at
4000 ppi). My scans from mounted slides (no brandt plastis mounts) have
invariably blurred sides and corners. This is clearly visible in the film
grain pattern, at 200% magnification in Photoshop. So, I see no intention
from Arthur to "(try) to hurt Nikon or carry on a vendetta". In most of the
A4 prints, I see no adverse effects, but that limitation affects bigger
enlargements (and surely I will want bigger enlargements from some of my
"good" A4 photos).

I never went to glass mounts precisely because the "durst problem" (that
made me crazy when I had my amateur chemical laboratory).

A few days ago I got my first negative scans and I noticed that the film is
much more flat in the negative holder. As I use my slides almost exclusively
to obtain scans, I will not mount my next slide films -- I will cut them
into 6 frame strips and scan with the film holder.

I feel that this is a good way to override the out of focus problem (also
the whole frame is less cropped than with the slide holder).

Best regards,

Mário Teixeira
mjteixeira@yahoo.com