Re: filmscanners: Glass slide mounts - caution advised

Apart from the problems already listed, namely:

- newton rings (you will definitely want the anti-newton-glass type, IMO)
- possible degradation of image due to extra surfaces
- more potential to gather dust, and more effort to remove

.. may I add these - as a person who tried them for a while and then
decided not to continue:

- danger to film (a 'normally' damaged slide can usually be retouched, but
if a glass breaks it can get REALLY nasty)
- fungal growth may be increased if moist air gets trapped in the mount
- similarly, just like the windscreen on a new car, g-m mounts can get that
horrible 'film' on them, presumably from chemicals released from plastics,
etc (eg other slides in the same box, film emulsions?)

I've had some slides effectively ruined because of the fungal growth issue
- maybe I mounted & stored them on a humid day..?

Anyway, just be careful (and *never* post or lend out a g-m original!) and
keep an eye on them if stored for the long term..

mt

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.