filmscanners: RE: NikonScan 3.1 does not work under W2K (report on tests)

Hi Stuart,

thanks indeed for your report on NS and W2K
I was hoping you would have found a cure, but it is just as I have
experienced.

I get crashes usually just as I press the Scan button, that is after I have
previewed, cropped, focused, adjusted the histograms, tones, etc. 90% of my
crashes happen at this point, exactly on pressing the final 'Scan' button.
very frustrating,
my workaround has been to 'save settings' just before I press Scan, so that
I can at least get back to where I was quicker than before. silly procedure,
but it saves time.
If the scan does start, (maybe 3 out of 4) it never fails mid scan, and I
will always get a result.
It does crash at other times, but these are rarer and less predictable.

You have also failed to mention the broken colour management, which many
(Bruce Fraser included) have talked about. Quite a few people have resorted
to switching it off, and this is not because they are colour nerds. The
machines need new profiles badly.

such a shame, to find wonderful state of the art hardware let down by buggy
software..

vuescan is rock stable, like you say, gives great colour, but there is a bug
in there stopping it working at over 480Mb files with ICE. Ed Hamrick knows
and is pursuing it.
I love the NS interface, but have had to use VS for many negs to get the
colour/ tonal results I should get from NS on this machine.

thanks again,

Paul

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.