From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of michael shaffer
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 15:08
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Laptop configuration

Alex writes ...

> The question is host platform-related which will be supposed
> to work with 4000 dpi scanner.
> I'm planning on SS4000 in some (hopefully near future) which
> will be supposed to be controlled by a laptop which also
> serves as host for image download.
>
> Do you think this laptop will be able to handle those
> tasks admirably or more powerful CPU is mandatory
> for that ? ...

  The CPU won't be the bottleneck ... once you've found the PCMCIA SCISI
card which will allow you to use the scanner, the bottleneck will probably
prove to be your RAM ... not so much for scanning, but rather taking full
advantage of the 4000ppi resolution any any attempt at post-editing.
  However ... I see the primary problem being the display.  Its quality is
way below the color capabilities of the scanner.

my CA$0.02 ... shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.