filmscanners: Real Resolution

I apologize in advance if this a dumb question....

We are considering the Microtek ArtixScan 6000XY.  The company's website says
that the 'optical resolution' is
6,000 x 2,000 dpi.

My question is:  Do I look at the 6000 or the 2000 for the bottom line actual
optical resolution?  I always
thought that if they said 6000 x 2000, that the 2000 number was the high end of
the resolution.

I tried calling Microtek (to get an answer), they said I had to call 'Tekgraph"
(who is handling the product
line for them), who then told me that the representative for my region of the
country was 'out of the office',
so I had to leave a message for him...And that he would get back to me.  Nobody
else could answer my questions
about the product...*NOT* an encouraging sign for customer service.

Harvey Ferdschneider
partner, SKID Photography, NYC

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.