Re: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

--- Lynn Allen <ktrout@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This definitely pisses me off, and I wrote and sent corroberating pic
> to the
> (US) FCC in charge--for whatever good that will do.

<snip>

> I'm just coming on--then dropping off again--to warn you all
> to use
> the lead bags when you travel (as if that would help), or buy film at
> point
> of destination and mail it back home. What a complete PITA.

The solution is simple. Don't put your film in your check-in bagage but
carry it with you. I've done many times and it works fine with 100 or
so rolls of film. If you carry more then that (besides possible camera
equipment) and you travel alone send the film to your location or buy
it on location.

I don't really recommend lead bags. I heard that some scanners
(probably from L3) can increase power to a degree that even lead bags
won't help. If this is true or not I am not sure. Nevertheless, other
scanners don't work that way and simply will trigger an alarm. That
increases the risk for you to be called back to open your lugage. And
when it's too late to do so then your lugage might stay behind....

Robert