RE: filmscanners: Good neg stck on Scanwit

What I have noticed with the scanwit 2720S and 400 ISO film may also be true
for 800 ISO film: the Kodak Supra negative stock seems to scan with less
grainy appearance than the Fuji Superia 400 film. This could however also be
the result of the slight overexposure I used for the Kodak film. Perhaps you
should just try it with the 800 film. Really, this is no joke: I once used
Kodak Ultra Zoom film ISO 800 and it scanned terribly grainy in the scanwit.
It may very well be too objectionably grainy to you.
I think you will have to overexpose the film a little anyway, otherwise you
get terrible grain with the 800 ISO film (i.e. when scanning, the print may
be OK). Don't overexpose a lot as the scanwit does not handle dark film very
well.

With regard to tranny film: since the contrast is very large use a tranny
film that has low contrast. One of the PP magazines had a test on a number
tranny films lately and they mentioned which films were contrasty and which
were less contrasty. This will ensure that the Scanwit will be able to scan
the shadows. Also tranny film will scan very smoothly compared to the grainy
appearance of negative film.

Jerry

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.