Re: filmscanners: Custom ICC printer profiles

Alan

I too have spent over one hundred hours slaving over  colour calibration -
WiziWYG IT8 Target - Reflective and John Cone has a profile for printer and
paper type  $50 each. Neither worked for me. Then I came across Colorvision
Profiler RGB, an American company. They supply a profiler for RGB [and
separately a CMYK if you like] but you better not waste your time with that
alone, get the Spyder calibration puck to get your monitor in shape as
well. After installing this beautiful system and screwing things up until
it sunk in,  I am now extremely pleased with both the reproduction from
print to what is seen on the monitor and the final image quality on paper
through my Epson Photo EX. It really is fantastic and you can proceed with
confidence, which feels very relieving after all the previous traumas, ink
and time. Get all the info at   http://www.colorcal.com/ The downer is that
the whole system costs about US $300 but I reckon it is worth it if your
time means something to you, not to mention colour control and fidelity.

Cant find Cone's HP at present. If you need it let me know.

Geoffrey

At 05:02 PM 10-08-01, you wrote:
>On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 23:01:05 -0400  Alan Eckert (aeckert@cpcug.org) wrote:
>
> > Forgive this somewhat OT post, but I've done an IT8 calibration with =
> > Silverfast on my SS4000 and I like what I see on the screen (it matches =
> > the slides well), but I can't trust what comes out of the 1270 printer =
> > to look like what's on the screen.
>
>I have wasted maybe 100hrs mucking about with profiles and stuff on a 1200,
>read shedloads, tried the various things Ian Lyons suggests, and got
>nowhere. ...
>A couple of months ago I gave up with all the autopilot approaches, and set
>about merely doing manual adjustments in the printer driver (CMY,
>saturation, contrast). This has worked far, far better than anything else :
>prints are now as close to the screen image as is possible within the
>limits of a different gamut. And it's free.
>
>Regards
>
>Tony Sleep
>http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
>& comparisons