Re: filmscanners: Shadows and Scanwit 2720s

Would scanning a Fuji Superia 100 ISO neg of a properly exposed 18%
Kodak gray card be likely to "stress" a scanner?  Tried several
different black and white points, although it didn't need any adjustment
based upon the histogram.

I'm about to do some more tests to see if the problem isn't the
calibration routine.  I did notice that the color balance can move
severely between scans of the exact same neg...

Query to other Minolta Dimage Scan II owners... if you select on the
automatic focus icon in the preview mode (and then click on a location
on the image) how long does your scanner "contemplate its focus"
clicking away and apparently moving the lens mm by mm.  I find this
process takes an inordinate amount of time, like 30 sec to a minute.
Doing a manual focus is much quicker, although I find the  slider
"sticky".

Art

Tony Sleep wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:07:48 EDT   (Bigboy9955@aol.com) wrote:
>
> > Could this be what is buggering Art and his new SDII?  Asking for more
> > than the scanner is capable?  I also have a "new" SDII and "seem" to get
> > some nice prints from scans.  Of course, I don't know what I am doing
> > yet.  But I would think blowing up a scan 2-300% would show the uglies
> > from the scanner.  I understand pushing the limits to see how far you
> > can go but....
>
> Possibly. Every CCD scanner I have ever looked at has all manner
> of nastiness down near the noise floor, and if you adjust black point to
> near there or beyond, plus increase curve gradient to try and maximise
> shadow separation, what you get is pretty ugly.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Sleep
> http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
> & comparisons