filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: (anti)compression?

Lynn wrote:
> "Compression" starts breaking down when: 1)there is too much texture,
> or 2)colors are "flat" but not quite the same.

And "texture" may be in the form of grain or apparent grain.  My scans of
Fuji 800 compress really poorly, while Provia 100F scans compress far better.
 Compression generally works well if there is little variation in the pixels;
no grain means good compression and coarse grain means poor compression.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.