Re: filmscanners: Best digital archive medium for scans?

Hi, Mark--

I tend to disagree--storage *is* a scanning issue in the Real World. You
have to put them somewhere, and Hard Drives are fallible, too.

PC World (I got my copy just 2 hours ago) has some comments on DVD-RW and
DVD-RAM. Not enough info, IMO, but a start. DVD holds a lot of data (up to
14 MB). Down side: if it goes bad, you *lose* a lot of data!

AFAICT, there's no clear-cut "winner" for storage--maybe the answer is to
buy 2 or 3 recording machines--one to use, one for backup, and one for
parts. Not too practical, is it? More likely than media obsolescence is
*format* obsolescence. My only answer is to store on more than one disc and
if you can, store on more than one medium and more than one format. And keep
your original film in a safe place, because there's some chance that you or
someone will have to do this again in 10 or 20 years.

The scrolls in the Library of Alexandria, I'm told, were burned to heat the
baths of the conquering generals. OTOH, my record as a new Nostrodamus is
not perfect, either. Looking in either direction, the permanence of anything
we know is still a crapshoot. :-)

Best regards--LRA