RE: filmscanners: My replacement 8000 is banding like the first one :-(

> > Are you a mechanical engineer?
>

> Many of the true marvels produced by man were made by people considered
> uneducated or unskilled in the profession they achieved in. Gaudi had no
> formal training in architecture, yet he designed and built some of the
> most memorable architecture in Spain.

That hardly applies.  Architecture, and art, are not engineering, and
require no basic understanding of mechanics.

You also conveniently diverged, and avoided answering my question.

> Some people are just born with a
> native understanding that often far exceeds anything education can
> provide.

I do not feel you are one of these such people.  Though there are people
that do have innate understanding of some things, that doesn't mean an
education doesn't give you certain qualifications, understandings and
abilities.  Most people who put education down, don't usually have one...and
of course, that makes sense.

> Some "kitchen inventors" have come up with concepts with no
> training in the field they excel within. I wouldn't expect you to
> understand, however.

Ah, but I do understand that completely.  I also know enough in this field
to know when someone doesn't understand what it is they are talking about.

> My concern in the use of plastic carriers is the interfacing of the
> carrier and the stepper motor or oter movement method.  Gearing between
> plastic and plastic or metal and plastic is likely to produce wear over
> time, and result in imprecision.

I do believe that you don't understand some of the things we have talked
about.  I believe you have a "working knowledge" but not an understanding.

If designed properly, that mechanism can easily last a lifetime.  Also, wear
does not imply imprecision.

> Regarding the SS4000, although it does not apparently need
> multi-scanning, due to the quality of the CCD which limits noise,  I
> understand that multi-scanning is not as precise due to some aspect of
> the carrier or positioning design.

That could very well be, but if designed properly, that need not be.  The
"unmentionable" scanner IS a three pass scanner, and has NO registration
problems between scans.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.