Re: filmscanners: Archiving Photos

Hi Lynn,

My first imaging project was to scan 400 of my parents old photos and
create a zip disk that they could get pictures from for greeting cards.
This was three years ago (seems like a lifetime) when I didn't know
anything about scanning or had never even installed Photoshop. I did all my
scanning through PhotoImpact and saved all the images as jpegs with almost
no manipulation.

Bottom line is that they loved each and every picture. Looking at them on
the computer was no worse than the old faded prints that I had scanned.

I think that you're anticipating your audience to expect more from the
images. I'm sure that in their minds, those cherished images are no worse
than they remember them and they are no doubt thrilled with the CD.

If I had it to do all over again I would save an uncompressed file of each
image for myself. But that was then and this is now. We can't go back
because time isn't a luxury. Besides, printing those images on common $3
per 500 sheet paper wouldn't look much better than if you had put in three
times the effort on the project.

Hope this makes you feel better.

Larry

Larry Berman