Re: filmscanners: Canon FS4000 vs. Nikon LS4000

>I've just joined this maillist because I want to go
>electronic with my slides and negatives. Currently I'm
>trying to decide which scanner to buy. I was ready to
>purchase the LS4000 when I stumbled across a review of
>the new Canon which on paper seems to have almost the
>same specs, but only costs about half the money.
>
>Based on what I've read so far, the main differences
>seem to be:
>
>1) LS4000 has better dynamic range and less noise
>2) FS4000 has more depth of field, i.e. scans sharp in
>the center as well as in the corners
>3) FS4000 has slightly better dust removal

Don't forget the LS40: half the price of the LS4000 with nearly the same
performance (Pop Photography says resolution is 53.5 and 60 lp/mm for the
LS40 and LS4000, respectively.)  With Vuescan, you can do multiscan noise
reduction.

For slides, low noise is important.

Mike Duncan

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.