Re: Unsharp mask was Re: filmscanners: Getting started question

----- Original Message -----
From: Austin Franklin <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 9:32 AM
Subject: RE: Unsharp mask was Re: filmscanners: Getting started
question

> > consultant (if
> > them up) could

> > > Er, my point in that discussion was that they were not really
very
> > > useful...and other experienced uses chimed in and agreed.
> > >

> > And an equal number of experienced users use 'em.
>
> Show me the posts that supports this.  I only remember a few people
chiming
> in and saying that they may use them as a starting point, or as a
newbie,
> they may use them, but I do not recall ANY experienced users saying
they
> used them.

Did you have a look at the thread last month on the Colorsync list
where several experts from around the world (of scanning:) pointed out
the benefits?  To paraphrase and condense (by memory), the advantage
has to do with getting more accurate curves (RGB) than possible with
post scan corrections, resulting in final results with more accurate
"internal" color, quite noticable in practice (SOTA level), according
to those posting.  No doubt there are those experts (Margulis) who
would still disagree, but with the advent of very high quality color
digital printing (Lightjet and ink jet), Margulis's apparent point of
reference (off set) may no longer be best in the SOTA sense.

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.