Re: filmscanners: Test Imacon, Nikon.Polaroid

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:17:28 -0400  Dave King (kingphoto@mindspring.com)
wrote:

> If there are no mirrors in either, what would explain better sharpness
> in the Imacon (assuming flat film in the Polaroid and Nikon)?

A bigger budget for the lens? ;) - but also the whole point of a curved
film gate is to equalise raypath lengths. There is no such creature as a
truly flat-field lens, and this is especially true of macros.

AIUI the Imacons work rather like a drumscanner, presumably moving either
the film or lens/CCD relative to the film (I still haven't seen one in the
flesh so don't know which). The curved film plane eliminates focus errors
due to differing focal points along the longest dimension.

Of course, to do it properly the Imacon would need the film to be dished
in both directions :)

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner