Re: filmscanners: Test Imacon, Nikon.Polaroid

----- Original Message -----
From: rafeb <rafeb@channel1.com>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 5:47 PM
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Test Imacon, Nikon.Polaroid

> At 03:57 PM 7/13/01 -0400, Austin wrote:
> >
> >> The primary advantage of the Imacon design is the unfolded light
path
> >> correct?  The mirrors can't be helping with the less expensive
> >> scanners.  Only absolute disadvantage to the straight path
approach is
> >> physical size of the scanner(?), and of course, in the case of
the
> >> Imacon, cost.
> >
> >Same thing with the Leafscan, it also has a straight light path, no
mirrors.
> >Also, one feature of the Imacon is the magnetic curved film
holders.  I am
> >not sure if it actually is better or not, but it is a feature.
>

> Are we certain that the 8000 ED and/or the LS-120 use
> mirrors?  Where does this information come from?
>
> This was commonly "reported" to be the case on some
> other scanners.  I can tell you that it is categorically
> not true for the Microtek 35t+ and the SprintScan Plus --
> no mirrors in either of those; the both use the
> identical optical/mechanical bench.
>

> rafe b.

You're right, the focal length of a good medium format lens might be
as short as 4-6".  Easily contained in either scanner.  Perhaps
someone will have a look inside and tell us.

If there are no mirrors in either, what would explain better sharpness
in the Imacon (assuming flat film in the Polaroid and Nikon)?

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.