filmscanners: Pros & Cons of ICE

I can see where "pros" might feel that they
can live without ICE, particularly if film
processing is kept under very strict control.

For me, at least until quite recently (knock
wood) that was darn-near impossible.

I have been very impressed with ICE, in just
the few weeks that I've had to use it.  The
"negative" effects are minimal, almost to the
point of being impossible to detect.  I've
thrown a few very ragged slides and negatives
at it and been amazed at the output.  On a
couple of these, I can state plainly that ICE
did a better job than I could have done with
several hours of laborious retouching.

So, yeah, for the best "ultimate" quality,
turning off ICE and retouching by hand might
be the way to go.  OTOH, if you're dealing with
dreck slides, or if your time is valuable,
ICE can be a life saver.  There's really not
much of a compromise involved, IMHO.  At this
point, I find I'm using it more often than not,
even on relatively clean input, just as a
preemptive measure against later touch-up
work in Photoshop.

PS: At least on the 8000, the "negative effects"
of ICE aren't softness, but noise.  It's almost
as if the firmware/software is applying a bit
of noise to the touch-up areas.  Pretty sneaky,
and pretty clever, IMHO -- this is a well known
trick for retouching.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.