Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000ED

At 10:31 PM 7/10/01 -0700, Art wrote:

>It sounds to me that this is a heads up to companies like Polaroid and
>others that it might well me worthwhile to consider production of at
>least one scanner line with D-ICE or equivalent type products with an
>infrared channel.

"ICE" was a non-issue for me in choosing the 8000 ED.

I assumed that ICE was some sort of dumb gimmick and
that image quality would suffer from using it.

I'm happy to say that I was quite wrong about this.
In fact, when I consider the countless hours I've spent
in the last few years spotting and retouching scans, I
kinda kick myself...

However... there IS a price to pay, and it gets back
to the LEDs vs. cold-cathode lighting issue, I think.

If I'm not mistaken, ICE requires IR-LED illumination.
The Nikons have this, the Polaroids don't.  But it
also seems that shallow depth-of-focus may be a side-
effect of LED illumination, at least according to one
of theories floating around.  To wit:  the LEDs are
less bright than cold-cathode, hence wider apertures
(and lower depth-of-focus) in the internal optics.

It would be interesting to put this to the test, somehow,
perhaps with deliberately  bent or curved media.

Shallow depth of focus *is* an issue on the 8000,
when scanning 645.  I have to be extremely careful
that they're quite flat.  It's often a hit-and-miss
thing.  Not so much an issue on 35 mm filmstrips.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.