filmscanners: SS120 & Nikon 8000 ... how do they work?

Perhaps someone can clarify something for me ... how do the new Nikon and
Polaroid scanners achieve their claimed 4000dpi resolution for multiple
formats?  Unlike most film scanners that accomodate multiple formats, the
claimed resolution of these scanners doesn't decrease when they switch from
35mm to medium-format, which suggests (to me, somebody who knows very
little about scanner mechanics) that they're doing something other than
using a different lens for each format.  Has anyone here figured out
exactly what they've done and how?

Jeff Goggin
Scottsdale, AZ

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.