RE: filmscanners: Nikon 8000ED

At 03:53 PM 7/6/01 -0600, Frank Nichols wrote:

>   I took  at look at the detail comparison crops (of the label) in
>Photoshop at 1200%. The  SS120 has much smoother transitions in colors
>(softer?) while the Nikon 8000ED  has sharper variations between pixels. I
>converted both to greyscale and  measured the levels at various points and
>the SS120 seems to have slightly  higher contrast. Which would explain why
>it appears to me that the SS120 shows  slightly more grain. Noise levels in
>both appear to be quite low - I am green  with envy (I expect the jpeg
>compression affected both about the  same...)   /fn    -----Original

Usually, increased contrast yields at least
the perception of increased sharpness.

If the SS-120 has higher contrast yet has lower
apparent sharpness (on the close-up images) that
suggests (to me) that the 8000 has much better
optical resolution.

Not that I'm an unbiased observer <g>.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.