RE: filmscanners: Film base deterioration (was Digital Shortcomings)

Laurie wrote:

>The conclusion that one can draw is that there is no totally permanent
>archival materials that last forever or, in the case of photographic
>images, with the certainty [it] will last for centuries no matter what you
>do.

*Stone* is good (particularly granite, basalt, and combinations of the two),
providing you don't leave them out in the sun, rain, or sandstorms for more
than 10,000 years. ;-)

At one time, Scribes laboriously re-recorded all the World's Wisdom, and
placed it in the Library of Alexandria for safekeeping. When the library was
sacked, and the scrolls were used to heat the baths of the conquerors, that
was lost, too. "Redundancy" is the only reason we accidentally have any of
that knowledge remaining today. Any questions?

Best regards--LRA