Re: filmscanners: exposing C41 for scanning ( was gibberish header)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Tony Sleep wrote:

> Yes, C41, processed normally. ISO ratings are often a bit optimistic, and
> an extra half-stop or so can help reduce grain and add separation in
> shadow areas by adding some density. The overlapping dye clouds softens
> the appearance of grain boundaries. There's usually plenty of latitude to
> accomodate this without running into highlight blocking.

Maybe 1/2 stop on C41 film isn't much to
quibble over, but I wonder about the wisdom
of overexposing C41 film that will be
scanned.

In my experience, it's the dense images that
are more likely to stress the scanner into
banding.  Alas, I have seen this even with
my LS-8000.  It's mortal, after all (boo hoo.)

Mildly off-topic, but it's been hot as hell
over here on the US east coast in the last
few days, and I'm wondering if that isn't
at least partly the cause of my scanner's
recent misbehavior.  Scans done very early
this morning (while room temp was still
reasonable) came out fine.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.