Re: filmscanners: NikonUSA warranty service

If they do their support like some other software companies, they have at least two levels of Techies. One level is the 'free support' people, who have been trained in the mysteries of accessing the program knowledge base. Anything not indexed with the words used by the caller can not 'normally' be found. For reasonably competent Techies, you have to go up a level to those who are supposed to be available under a paid-support plan. The best you can usually hope for is that a stumped 'free' tech will put you on hold and walk over to a competent one, and see if he/she can get an intelligible answer.
This is what I get from an outfit that used to be an industry leader in free support.
Hersch

At 08:48 PM 06/26/2001, you wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Todd Radel wrote:

> Or, at the very least, to at least have laid eyes on the product they're
> supposed (alleged?) to be supporting! Case in point: the Acer techs who have
> never seen a 2740, had no film scanners on their desks (or even in a nearby
> lab) in which to reproduce users' problems or to become familiar with the
> product, and had no idea what "MiraPhoto" was, let alone "SCSI". And they
> freely admitted all of this to me over the phone.

This AM, while talking to a Nikon tech, I
did a scan using the stand-alone version
of NikonScan, per the tech's request.

When the scan is complete, you have your
scan in a window in NikonScan.  I asked
the tech if there was a way (inside this
program) to look at the individual color
channels.  I was met with a resounding
"Huh?"  The tech clearly had no idea
what I was talking about.  This seems a
bit lame for someone whose job it is to