Re: filmscanners: Digital Shortcomings (OT)

In a message dated 6/21/2001 7:30:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
derek_c@cix.co.uk writes:

Nikon Coolpix digitals have manufacturer-specific flash shoes that only
fit certain Nikon flashguns.

And rehashing film vs. digital arguments is old hat now.

There are thousands of people making cash from digital photography, and
they by no means are all photojournalists who must get stuff into a paper
by the deadline.

I responded on this topic to Stuart, Kevin, and Art off-list.  I didn't
intend to rehash anything here.  I only wanted to make sure that Stuart
realized the limitations of digital cameras.  Since he's doing web work, such
a camera should work just fine for him.  But I wanted him to realize its
limitations and that, further down the road, he might have a chance to resell
his glamour images for print use and the digital camera he's contemplating
most certainly would limit what he could do with them, and therefore would
limit how much money he could make from them.  The choice is his, based on
his circumstances.

So Nikon screwed us again, did they?  If the Coolpix doesn't even have a PC
connector, then you'd have to jump through hoops to get it work with a studio
lighting system.  I still haven't forgiven Nikon for forcing me to buy a $100
electronic cable release, when a $5 mechanical one would have worked just as
well.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.