Re: filmscanners: films for scanning

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:16:24 +1000  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rob=20Geraghty?=
(harper@wordweb.com) wrote:

> Tony wrote:
> > Try Superia 800 with the SS4000 as a matter of some urgency :-)
>
> :(  Drat.  Now I have to make some time after working hours.
> I'll have to collect together a variety of types of film
> and try at least a frame from each.

I  probably shouldn't say this, but I have used Superia800 quite a lot
with the SS4000 and am amazed how insignificant grain is. At A4 from an
Epson, it's there, just, but you really only notice a relative lack
of tonal refinement compared to slower films.

> Which makes me disappointed I didn't wait longer and get
> a SS4000 as I'd originally planned.  If this is true, why
> did the scanner manufacturers choose 2700dpi if it's so
> prone to aliasing?

Just what was available at the time. I daresay 6,000, 8,000, 12,000 ppi
CCD's will be along later and reduce remaining problems. 4,000 still has
occasional aliasing bad hair days with some fast films, specially
monochrome Delta3200, TMax3200. Whatever you get today, there'll be
something better tomorrow and you'll be left with a pile of worthless junk
(a fine collection in my shed:)

> This could get expensive...
Oh it does, it does :)

> PS Any idea what is happening to your subject lines, Tony?
Inherited, as yours was. Someone's mailer mangled it - bound to be MS'
fault :)

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner