filmscanners: Diffused scanners...

At 04:43 AM 6/14/01, Rob Geraghty wrote in another thread (films for scanning):

>Silver based B&W films do not scan at all well with the LS30; at least
>none I've tried do.  A scanner with a more diffuse light source would
>probably be better, especially given that ICE doesn't work with such
>films.

Often, I believe we are too concerned with overkill in specs.  Rob's remark
triggered a question in my mind.  Assuming you are satisfied with 1024
pixel width on a computer monitor, which of the film scanners are still
available somewhere, with at least some diffusion in the light source, that
will do an adequate job with typical b&w and color negatives and
slides...with say VueScan...for 35mm...for 6 x 7...and for 4 x 5...not
necessarily with the same scanner.

I have over 50 year experience of working with enlargers of "tens of
breeds" with b&w and color negatives.  I know from my experience that some
invent problems that hardly exist.

I am reminded of the remark of the master photographer that heard someone
complain about the grain in their prints.  His remark was:  "then...make
smaller prints."

Marvin Demuth

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.