Re: filmscanners: Minolta Dual II banding - OT

"Something to be said" (Art - below) is a mite of an understatement;
and the core of probably the greatest emotions in this industry.

"Control" means either strict "Standards", or monopoly, or "de facto" standard.

"Open" means individualizing, customizing, "open-ended alterations",
unencumbered by "Controls".

The passions seem to be divided by those who favor "Controls", and
those who favor "Open", with only a few who seem to want it both
ways, or say so seriously.

The "Control" advocates seem to be longer range thinkers, who have a
strong value in predictability, and planning. Also strong feeling
about the notion of profitability.

The "Open" advocates seem to favor "freedom" (in a product/market
sense), and strongly believe that growth and innovation is greater
this way than with the "Control" people's way. They also seem to be
less aware of, or concerned with profits, and are more willing to
invest their energies based on passion rather than some assurances of
payoff. "Standards" are an anathema.

There is no doubt that the entire computer industry started with "Open" people.
There is no doubt that the entire industry is moving (has moved) to "Control".
And,
There is no doubt (IMO), as the bulk of the industry moves into a
commodity mode, that only the "Control" people will survive. The
reasons are alluded to by Art (below), that fragmentation, lack of
conformance, lack of standards, will ultimately pull everything down.
And result in marketplace confusion.

With regard to innovation, IMO the best situation, with regard to
innovation, and profitability is that of what is called an Oligopoly,
or a "shared" monopoly where there are strict standards, controls,
and proprietary software/hardware but the market is split by two
major entities, who compete directly or indirectly. In this situation
there are sufficient profits to support innovation, yet standards -
de facto or real - to prevent sprawl and confusion. A situation we
really have with Apple and Microsoft eventhough Apple has only 5% of
the world market. An interesting leverage, to say the least. All the
subsegments will migrate to the same ultimate situation: Oligopoly.
Not too bad an outcome, IMO. But I certainly wouldn't invest in the
"Open" products.

Anybody want to continue this please do it direct.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.