Re: filmscanners: Filmscanning vs. Flatbedding

Steve wrote:

>Ok it will be approx US $7000 but hopefully the consumer stuff will
eventually follow on.

That's a pretty big hit, AFAIC. You can buy several Leicas for that amount.
Even a professional will look very closely at that sort of high-ticket
item--it has to start paying off very rapidly! Amateurs (unless they're in
the drug business), will not participate. Kodak made that mistake a few
years ago, and they're still trying to regain their balance.

Also, there are $7000 cameras, and there are $7000 cameras. For that price,
it'd better be as good as a very nice cherry-wood view-camera (which haven't
come down in price lately, AFAIK). Frankly, I don't think the digicam is
there yet, although it's definitely closing the gap.

Will it soon be as good as my old trustworthy Spotmatic? Jeez, I hope so.
I'm probably as enthusiastic as anyone about digital cameras. But until they
get closer to the price and quality of a good SLR, the film camera is still
king.

Best regards--LRA