filmscanners: Microtek 1850S drivers

Before anyone thinks I've completely lost my mind, and moved from my
"darling" HP S-20 (soon to be replaced with a Minolta Dimage Dual II or
Canon FS2710 or ??) I should explain that I have just purchased a
Microtek 1850s on ebay (for $10.50) which is in need of at least drivers
and maybe a repair or bulb replacement for my 10 year old nephew who is
showing some interest in computer graphics.

The problem is Microtek.  This scanner is one of the early film scanners
that went to market (original list price $2100 US!).  It would appear
Microtek would prefer to forget it ever existed, and has no support
whatsoever on line (or elsewhere) for it.  I have tried Microtek US,
Taiwan, Japan and China.  Microtek Europe (out of Holland) has some info
and some Scanwizard upgrades which "might" work.

So, here's my request. Does anyone have the software drivers (preferably
both WIN and Mac, but if not at least Mac) for this beast?  How about
twain drivers, or instruction manual, or bless my lucky stars, a repair
manual or parts list??  Or failing all that, someplace I can go on the
web to try to find further info?

Any suggestions beyond "why the heck did you buy that piece of *%$#"
would be most appreciated.

Does Vuescan support the 1850S?

PS: there might be a lesson to be gained from this tale.  How long
before Mictrotek decides their SS 4000 equivalent is "too old" to support?

Hmmm...ingway?  ;-)

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.