Re: filmscanners: Review of the Nikon CoolScan 4000

Rob Geraghty wrote:

> "Jeremy Brookfield" <jeremy@percula.com> wrote:
> > The software (Nikon Scan 3.0) is so buggy as to render the scanner useless
> > all intents and purposes.
>
> Have you tried Vuescan?  Does it work?

Yes, it works quickly and (so far) reliably. Howver, I have difficulties with
the color management. Nikon Scan 3 produces well balanced colour without
manipulation. None of Vuescans 7.0.12 color balances comes even close to being
reasonable. I also miss Nikon Scan's curve control (I have figured out how to
use the new LCH dialog properly). Also I cannot find Vuescan's ICE GEM option
(is there one?) With the LS2000, I prefered  Silverfast to Nikon Scan 2.51
because of the better colour manipulation options. To sink further down to
Vuescan's limited controls would not be acceptable to me.

Jeremy

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.