Re: filmscanners: Epson proofing

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:28:48 -0800  Arthur Entlich (artistic@ampsc.com) wrote:

> Epson does make a few professional printers which are designed with
> pre-press in mind.  I'm not sure it's fair to expect color profiling
> built into a printer that sells for a few hundred dollars.  It isn't the
> market they are targeting.  I think they do an amazing job with these
> $50-$300 US printers.

Yes, I know, I know ... :) You are right, really - it does appear that
expectations are too high WRT to these printers, although it has taken me a lot
of pain and consumables to be sure about that. However, VISA/Mastercard would
take a dim view of an Epson 3/5/9000, even if they could find my body after Mrs
Halftone had made her feelings clear.

> PS: As any printman will tell you, ink and paper make a system.  Change
> one or the other, and control goes down the tubes.  Profiles have to
> consider all these elements.

Yes, I know. Which makes it even more of a shame that the canned profile for
the OE ink and paper is not accurate.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &