Re: filmscanners: Canon FS2710 vs Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II

I agree with you that the value of refurbs can be good.  All my Epson
printers were bought that way and only one was a problem (which Epson
begrudgingly took back).

Also, as you state, they all go through bench testing to some degree,
but, there is "A" stock, "B" stock, and "C" stock in returns.  A is
usually found to work just fine and be repacked and is "good as new",
although sometimes they miss intermittent problems on the test bench.  B
and C stock can vary from cosmetic defects to downright dirty "failed
units" that were hacked to work, sometimes with some modular swaps,
hoping the next owner is either not as critical, or is tired of
returning the units, and keeps it.

What worried me somewhat is that they came with "only" a 6 month
warranty, but this might be the status quo in the US for this item new,
I don't know (Maybe someone can answer that who bought one down there)??

Since warranty = liability, I often find it is a good indication of how
secure the manufacturer is about the product's likelihood to last.

Here in Canada most consumer grade slide scanners (the ones we speak
about on this list) have a one year warranty (which I double by using my
credit card).

Regarding the two subjected models (Canon vs Minolta) I do note that
here in Canada the general street price is now the same on both, and the
Canon comes with a SCSI card included.

Again, I too am interested in any A-B comparison of these two units,
particularly in terms of dark noise, sharpness, and manufacturer's software.

Art

Jim Sharp wrote:

> Art
>
> Ii wouldn't worry about the refurb. units. Customers return things for a
> variety of reasons, sometimes with nothing at all wrong with them. The
> returned units can no longer be sold as new and must be checked out and
> "refurbished" to be sold again.
>
> My Minolta Scan Dual I came from uBid and was a refurb. Other than the
> stickers on the box and paperwork inside, I couldn't tell it from mew.
> It works as new also.
>
> I've purchased a lot of this type of merchandise over the years with
> excellent luck. I always figured it this way -  at least the refurb.
> unit was looked at and tested by a technician before it was shipped out.
>
> Do you know the day of the year that always has the largest number of
> large screen TV returns? The day after the Superbowl...
> :-)
>
> --
> Jim
>
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> I'd also be interested in replies to this.  I noticed two things of
>> interest in regard to the Minolta Dimage Dual Scan II.  One, here in
>> Canada, its backordered for up to two months due to demand.
>>
>> 2) I saw a bunch of refurbed units for same recently on "ubid", which
>> worried me, being that this model has only come out perhaps 6 months
>> ago, if that.
>>
>> Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.