Re: filmscanners: Repro house skirmishing (long)

Hi Laurie,

I never tried the earlier iterations as I was wary of the orange
fading problem, so I can't answer your first question.  The imaging
quality of the 3rd version with oem dye is the best quality in terms
of commercial uses I've seen coming from ink jet, and many 1270 users
will say the same thing, and the 1200 and 1160 with oem dyes on this
paper are very comparable to the 1270.  Bob Meyer has found the 3rd
version still goes orange, but not as fast.  (See his latest update
for more detail.)  This doesn't concern me however for my intended
uses (portfolio, proofing, and repro).  In addition, with Profiler Pro
and the DTP-41, the grayscale is linear enough to use for B&W repro
and portfolio purposes.  I will use Generations in a 7000 on Crane
Mueso for archival printing.  Having both approaches available should
meet my particular printing needs very nicely.

As to how it will reproduce, I don't know from first hand experience
yet, but I feel pretty sure it will be excellent as long as the ink
jet dots are sufficiently small compared to the screen used for
reproduction.  A larger ink jet image than the final repro size is a
good practice, as it is with conventional analog prints.

Dave