filmscanners: Vuescan grain dust removal function (was: Need feedback on VueScan Improvements)

>> I had understood that grain removal was a by-product of the ICE-type
>> cleaning and therefore could not be separated. ...
>
>Not sure about VueScan, but ASF's GEM and ROC do not depend on ICE.  Two
>separate sources for this statement: 1) Minolta's medium format scanner has
>GEM and ROC but not ICE and 2) the patent that appears to be the basis for
>ROC (#5,673,336).  The patent states that an IR channel is not necessary for
>the removal of color crosstalk but that the process of removing crosstalk
>improves the IR detection of defects.

>From what is written in the help file it would appear that vuescan does not
>depend on an IR channel.  The following is from the vuescan 7.0 help file:

--------------
Clean   Use this option to remove dust spots and reduce visible film grain.

If the scan has an infrared channel, the Light option will remove dust spots,
the Medium option will remove dust spots and reduce film grain, and the Heavy
option will remove dust spots and reduce more film grain.

If the scan doesn't have an infrared channel, the Light option will reduce film
grain, the Medium option will remove more film grain and some smaller dust
spots, and the Heavy option will remove more film grain and larger dust spots.

--
Bob Shomler
http://www.shomler.com/gallery.htm

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.