Re: filmscanners: Anyone using Win2K? Does is manage color like W98SE?

Ed wrote:
> I don't run a business or NT workstations and already run WinMe, which to
my
> understanding is the consumer version of Windows 2000 Professional.

No, the two products aren't really related that way.  ME is an upgrade of
Win98SE,
and Win2K is an upgrade of NT4.

> My point was that maybe MS is pushing 2000 because of its price
> tag ($300?) or more?

It's a better OS overall.  MS want to get everyone over into the NT/Win2K
environment so that can kill off Win9x/ME.  I'm sure they wouldn't mind
everyone paying more along the way. ;)

> I think it is a case of the "latest and greatest" syndrome even if all
> (most?) of us don't need it.  Rob already pointed out that 2000, WinMe,
and
> 98SE all have the same color management.

One of the reasons Win2K isn't quite as stable as NT4 is the additions made
such
as DirectX so that people could use more of the programs they use in a Win9x
environment in Win2K.  The colour management is functionally identical but I
don't know if the code is.

> WinMe runs fine for me and doesn't crash at all.  I'm basically trying to
let
> someone convince me why 2000 is better than WinMe, but I may not be
> "professional" enough to understand.

Win98SE is fine for me on my home machine.  I don't think you need Win2K.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)  One major advantage of Win2K for the
speed
freaks or those throwing around 4000dpi scans is dual processor capability.

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.