Re: filmscanners: dither vs haltoning (was File sizes, file formats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

Austin Franklin wrote:

>  I do find
> it fascinating that some people have adopted a, in my book, 'new' term for
> 'this'.  Kind of like changing the word CPU...

I'm unfamiliar with the "word" CPU... It isn't in my dictionary either.
There is a C.P.U., an acronym for a central processing unit, is that
what you refer to?

See, people can nitpick about just about anything.  Language is about
transferring thoughts, and ideas, and as long as there is enough
agreement to do so, I could care less about dictionary definitions.

When I'm in court, or writing a legal contract, then it sometimes
matters, but in my day to day communications, I attempt to find enough
common ground to transfer my ideas, and hear others. We get so hung up
on technical terminology that truly important issues get lost in the
process.  Anyone who has "read' me for a while, will know that I often
write little essays on these lists to try to explain complex or
confusing concepts in simple terms.  I find technical jargon, especially
in this kind of mixed audience does more to alienate that to further
enlighten.  It is also a form of elitism, that really rubs me the wrong way.

There are literally hundreds of languages spoken on this planet alone,
and thousands of dialects. Rather going into the micro, people might
benefit more from going to the macro... like learning a second or third
language; that can really open up doors.  Our society is becoming more
and more small-minded with specialization.  Few see the big picture
anymore.  As Lazarus Long put it in R. Heinlien's novel "specialization
is for insects".  I'd rather live a broad interesting life, knowing a
little about a lot than to be able to claim that I inhabited the planet
longer than most other species, living in dark corners and scurrying
when the lights get turned on. ;-)

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.