RE: filmscanners: dither vs haltoning (was File sizes, file formats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

> > >     "Halftoning" really has nothing to do with digital imaging ...
> >
> > I completely disagree.  Halftone is a process, and is implementation
> > independent.
>
>     I only separate "halftoning" and "dithering" chronologically
> (traditionally), as in "halftone" is the original analog process, and
> "dithering" is the method by which halftoning is digitally
> implimented.  I don't have a problem with QMS or Epson having
> "halftone" settings ... it probably best describes the resulting
> "effect" of the setting ... i.e., imitating traditional halftoning.
>     ... and I don't have references for "dithering" ... I use it is a
> general term for putting discrete dots together ... for whatever
> purpose.

Fair answer.  I think others still believe that the process is called
dithering, and that halftoning is something not used in digital printing.
I've been in the digital imaging industry for a while, so I don't read what
anyone else writes on the subject...except data sheets...so I'm going to go
buy some of those reference books and see how they describe it.  I do find
it fascinating that some people have adopted a, in my book, 'new' term for
'this'.  Kind of like changing the word CPU...

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.