Re: filmscanners: dither vs haltoning (was File sizes, file formats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

shAf wrote:

> Austin writes ...
>
> > >     "Halftoning" really has nothing to do with digital imaging ...
> >
> > I completely disagree.  Halftone is a process, and is implementation
> > independent.
>
>     I only separate "halftoning" and "dithering" chronologically
> (traditionally), as in "halftone" is the original analog process, and
> "dithering" is the method by which halftoning is digitally
> implimented.

Dithering is pretty old too.  Was used by a painter with particularly
famous painting (I have it on a coffee mug) "Sunday in the Park" or some
such name. Artist's name doesn't come to mind either (just the image of
the painting).  But in any case, he used colored dots to produce other colors
through dithering -- and this was quite some time ago.  :-)

Mike K.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.