filmscanners: File sizes, file formats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

As I prepare for scanning for these size prints, it will help me, and I
suspect others, if some of you scanning for quality 8.5 x 11 and 13 x 17
prints from 35mm in either b & w or color will comment on:

1. The typical file sizes you use at the printing stage and the ppi of your
final scans.
2. The file format of the file at the printing stage.
3. How you archive your final scans used for the printing, i.e. CDs, etc.
4. The bpi and ppi confusion.

I am confused as to the techniques that are used.  I had the pleasure of
viewing a CD of b & w TIFF scans this past weekend, made by a professional
photographer, who is at the level that he has had photographs published by
National Geographic.  He told me he had scanned the 35mm b & w negatives at
2700 dpi.  Using PS, I found that the file sizes were about 5MB, the print
sizes were about 5 x 7 and the ppi were 385.

Marvin Demuth

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.