RE: filmscanners: File sizes, file formats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

> As I prepare for scanning for these size prints, it will help me, and I
> suspect others, if some of you scanning for quality 8.5 x 11 and 13 x 17
> prints from 35mm in either b & w or color will comment on:

I do not vary my scan for output size.  I always scan at the optical
resolution of the scanner.

I always use TIFF files.

I adjust my image for output using Photoshop Image/Image Size tab.  I
uncheck "Resample Image" so there is no manipulation of the data.  I vary
the height or width in "Document Size" to suit my required output size and
let the resolution fall where it may.  No matter what the "Resolution"
number is (286.6) it is fine.  As long as it is 240 or above, that is the
best image quality you will get.

If it is below 240, then you may consider unchecking "Resample Image" and
resampling to get enough information to your printer so you do not get any
appearance of digital artifacting.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.