Re: filmscanners: Nikon jaggies update

"Gordon Tassi" <gtassi@erols.com> wrote:
> Rob:  Regarding the jaggies:  I have 2.5.1 and find that Nikon's LS-30
output
> at 1350 dpi has jaggies and Vuescan's 2700 output from the same machine
has
> none.  It seems to be a question of output resolution.

Ed and others (Tony I think for example) concluded that the problem occurred
due
to a vibration of the scanner mechanism under particular circumstances.  Ed
fixed
the problem in Vuescan by putting measured pauses in between scan lines, and
scanning one line at a time.  Nikonscan scans in 64K blocks, apparently.

So yes, it is related to resolution in terms of what spped of scanning
causes
the vibration.

> simplistic, I know, and there are probably other reasons for them.  As a
> result, I usually us Vuescan set at 2700 and above 8 bits per channel
which is
> also what Nikon uses for its output.  The scans may take longer but
quality is
> much improved.

I've always used Nikonscan and Vuescan at 2700dpi because I was under the
impression that the scanner always scans at this resolution - which is
actually
patently untrue, otherwise scanning at a lower res wouldn't be faster.  In
any
case I always want the most resolution I can get out of a film scan. :)

I love the fact that I can get jaggy-free output at 10bits per channel from
Vuescan, but there's features in Nikonscan I'd like to use.  ICE really is
still better IMO for some things - notably scratches, and some of the
visual adjustment tools in Nikonscan are much more intuitive.  But unless
Nikon write a fix for the jaggies, Nikonscan is useless for me.

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.