RE: filmscanners: Acer or Nikon?

Graham wrote:

>it's come down to the Acer Scanwit 2720 as it's a great price, >BUT I like
Nikon stuff, is the LS30 really a better scanner for >the extra cash? I did
fancy the Minolta Scandual2 but here in >the UK it's a full 33% more
expensive then it is in the US and >that I object to..

Seems like a "major sea change" between Acer and Nikon! ;-) What it boils
down to is how much more you're willing (and able) to pay to avoid the
hassles. I use an Acer, it's adequate, and I like it, but it sometimes
drives me nuts. If my projects and means weren't of limited scope, I'd
rather have a filmscanner with more power and features, and the IR track on
the Nikons (and others)sounds like a bona fide extra bennie, with more
possibility for expanding your horizons.

Any way you slice it, a filmscanner is an *investment* and paying more to
get more probably isn't something you'd regret.

Another alternative, of course, is the high-end digital cameras, with a film
camera in reserve. B/W is no problem--you just dump the color information
with software.

Best regards--LRA