Re: filmscanners: GEM, ROC compared to Vuescan

"John Matturri" <jmatturr@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Related: why in general does Ice-based dust removal soften the image.
> The purpose of the IR channel is to identify the particular spots that
> are dust / scratches. Shouldn't the software only affect those areas
> leaving the rest of the image alone and sharp?

Vuescan's lowest setting on dust removal doesn't seem to affect image
sharpness.  ICE on my LS30 *does* affect the whole image.  I suspect
that ICE "sees" the grain of the film (or rather the "apparent" grain :) as
some sort of defect and tries to correct it.

As I mentioned elsewhere, we'll have to wait and see if ICE3 has
fixed this problem.

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.