Re: filmscanners: Beginner

Sorry about including the word "budget" in my post when referring to the
Powerlook scanner.it was a mistake.
The optical resolution however over the central portion is indeed a true
3048 ppi as the lens used focuses the light from your original onto a
larger portion of the CCD array  i.e. 3 inches rather than one.
My own Scanner which I bought in 1995 is similar in specification in
that its an A3 flatbed with a central HiRes strip giving 3200 ppi but
without the extended dynamic range of the current generation scanners.
Its still good enough however to scan 35mm originals ,manipulate in
Photoshop and output back to 5x4 inch negatives for use in the lab.
The softness issue can be corrected by using unsharp mask ,likewise the
lack of density in the shadows can also be tweaked  although it is
rarely needed for neg output due to its inherently low
contrast.Transparency output however can be enhanced by selectively
darkening the shadow areas.
I mentioned the Leaf Lumina scanner some time ago and have recently come
across a used one for sale .If any one wants the sellers address contact
me off list and I will put you in touch.
Keep smiling while you ( s)can

Michael Wilkinson. 106 Holyhead Road,Ketley, Telford.Shropshire TF 15 DJ
  michael@infocus-photography.co.uk      www.infocus-photography.co.uk
For Trannies and Negs from Digital Files

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.